[CAT] How to kick start your preparation instead of wasting time in Day – dreaming !!
Well this article is for pseudo-CAT Aspirants.
How would you identify that you are pseudo-CAT Aspirant ?? Check the signs below :
- Have you ever thought of starting preparation in Jan – March month but never started till the date when CAT Notification is out. And finally you haven’t studied anything till the last week of Exam.
- Its already 2 years gone since you first thought to bell the CAT.
- You took CAT 2-3 times but it was at the only last moment (I am talking about last 2-3 days :P) that you tried to study a lot and scored average score.
- You know you can fetch a very good score but you haven’t as yet.
- You are still searching for a facebook group or whatsapp group to prepare for exams and discuss “How to start preparation”.
- You are still searching for a forum where you will get all the questions to prepare and more than that “How to start preparation”
- And yeah if you are still thinking that your past academic record is not flawless, will they consider you or not.
Well my friends cum Pseudo-CAT Aspirants, did you got any of the answers as yet or your search for ultimate goal still continue… 😉
Its time to take action. Whatever month it is Jan-Feb, June-July, or may be even Oct-Nov. Don’t just let your preparation go for next year even if you have not much time left for the dream date with CAT.
What you should do ??
1. Forget about your academic record just for now (Its bad, good, excellent or very bad). Just forget about it.
2. Think of cracking CAT and not about getting into an IIM or other famous institutes (since your main hurdle is starting preparation)
3. Now stop thinking !!! You have thought a lot about it.
4. Go and search for an old paper of CAT or AIMCAT or Mock Test which you can gather from some forum or at the back of any Standard Books. I will post a list of good books soon.
Click Here to check the list of Books.
5. Just take out time on any Sunday or Saturday or holiday (It will take hardly 2-3 hours of your busy schedule of mauj-masti).
6. Purchase an alarm clock for sure.
7. Solve the paper you searched for within the prescribed time limit.
8. Match with correct answers. So you got a very bad score. What’s the next plan then..
Forget about CAT, Let start thinking ” Its not my cup of tea” . Lets go out and enjoy 🙂
9. Well go out. Just take a cup of tea and get re-energized.
10. When you come back. Make a chart having questions no. in one column. Question section in second column. Your answer in 3rd. Correct answer in 4th. and Review in 5th.
|Q. No.||Section||Your Answer||Correct answer||Review|
|1||QA||a||a||Correct but can do it more speedly|
|2||VA||c||d||Confusing words mistake|
|3||LR||d||b||Was very tough question. Need to practice such ques.|
In review section write what made you to make mistake in the wrongly answered question :
1. Were you not familiar with the concept.
2. Did you forgot the formula related to the question.
3. If you were not able to understand the question due to lack of vocabulary.
4. If you were not able to understand the RC passages on the whole.
5. If you were not knowing the different forms a verb may be used in.
6. Confusing words just confused you a lot.
7. A lot of data was overflowing from DI and LR questions.
Check on the following points too.
Were you able to complete the paper in the prescribed time.
Are you weak in vocabulary?
Do you take more time in reading comprehension?
Do you take more time in any quantitative fundamentals?
Are you able to complete the mock test by the required time?
Do you blank out and get nervous?
Knowing where you stand and which area you lack in is very important to kick start your CAT preparation.
Paste this sheet on the wall of your room. And now start targeting your weak section one by one gradually with a shorter plan of 2-5 days for each subsection . Its not going to be an easy task. But this sheet will remind you daily of what your target should be and which section you should work hard on.
Once you complete a subsection and have solved some problems. Tick mark in the sheet against the question. Keep doing theory and problems related to each wrong answer till you have completed all the questions.
Now Take another mock test and Analyse it in the same way and you will find much better marks and confidence to keep your preparation continued in full fledged.
Strategy to Tackle different section is elaborated below :
[CAT] How to prepare QA for CAT [Coming Soon…] [CAT] How to prepare LR for CAT [Coming Soon…] [CAT] How to prepare DI for CAT [Coming Soon…]