[25th March 2015 – The Hindu] SC strikes down sec 66A, H1 N1 Influenza, Defying RTI
1. SC strikes down section 66A of IT Act
Definition of offences under the provision was “open ended” and “undefined” – SC.
- Timeline :
- 2008 :- UPA govt. amends IT Act 2000, adds section 66A, punishment upto 3 yrs in jail.
- Sep. 2012 :- Aseem Trivedi held for cartoons allegedly mocking the constitution.
- Nov 2012 :- Two girls held from Thane for Facebook post questioning shut down of mumbai for Shiv Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray’s Funeral.
- Nov 2012 :- Shreya Singhal files a PIL against Act, seeks amendment in section 66A.
Court recognizes three forms of speech :
Discussion or advocacy when reaches the level of Incitement, it could be curbed on the ground of causing public disorder.
Article Ref. : SC strikes down ‘draconian’ Section 66A – http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/sc-strikes-down-draconian-section-66a/article7029620.ece
2. HINI Influenza
- India has not shared some critical information with WHO that would help determine if the circulating strains are the same as the two strains that have shown resistance to the antiviral drug.
- India has no National Influenza Policy.
- Recommends vaccination to only health workers.
- Govt. do not provide incentive to pharma company, which are capable to provide vaccinations, by assured procurement interest.
Article Ref. : India flounders as H1N1 spreads – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/india-flounders-as-h1n1-spreads/article7028788.ece
3. National political parties have defied the RTI Act that they themselves passed.
- CIC ordered in 2013 – National parties as public authorities & hence come under RTI.
- But after 2 years , neither these parties appealed in court against the order nor they oblige it.
- National parties – BJP, INC, NCP, CPI, CPM, BSP.
Article Ref. : Defying RTI, undermining democracy – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/defying-rti-undermining-democracy/article7028792.ece
Comment (your views) below in not more than 200 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.