(29th March 2015 – Indian Express) IRNSS- 1D Launched
IRNSS-1D Launched from Sriharikota
Important points :
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System
- 4th satellite in the planned seven satellite Indian Navigational System.
- Fully operational By mid – 2016
- Critical application for Indian Armed Forces.
- GPS – like regional satellite based navigation system
- Global positioning System (GPS) – US | GLONASS – Russia | Galileo – EU | Beidou Navigation satellite system – China, Have global coverage
- IRNSS will focus on the region upto 1500 km , beyond India’s boundaries between longitude 40` E & 140` E and latitude +/-40`
- Cost : Approx 1420 crore.
How many Satellites ?
- Constellation of 7 satellites.
- Three in geostationary orbit.
- Four in geosynchronous orbit – will apppear to move in the figure of ‘8’ when observe fromground.
Ground Infrastructure of IRNSS
- 20 stations for generation & transmission of navigation parameters, satellite control, satellite ranging & monitoring, mostly at airports, along with Indian GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) ground elements.
- 2 Master Control Stations.
When will IRNSS become operational ?
- Fully operational by Mid- 2016
How accurate will the coverage be ?
- Positional accuracy similar to GPS- 10 m over the Indian Landmass, 20m over the Indian Ocean.
- Will provide a more accurate restricted service for the Indian armed forces & other special authorized users.
Application of IRNSS ?
- Marine Navigation
- Disaster Management
- Vehicle Tracking
- Fleet management
- Integration with mobile phone
- Precise timing
- Geodetic data capture
- Terrestrial navigation for hikers
- Visual & voice navigation for drivers
Crucial Use :
- For Indian Armed forces
- Useful for most modern weapon system like guided missile and bombs.
Why so Critical for military ?
- Strategic requirement for modern war fighting
- Access to foreign govt. controlled navigation satellite system is not guaranteed during hostilities.
- Complete collapse of navigation services if foreign system is switched off.
Does Pakistan have IRNSS like system ? NO
Article Ref : Explained: Guardian in the sky – http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/explained-hawk-eye-in-the-sky/
Write a short note in not more than 350 words ” How IRNSS will strengthen India’s defence and navigation system? “. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.