(30th March – The Hindu) Quashing of section 66A, Delhi Police – beatbook, Asian infrastructure Investment Bank – AIIB
Quashing of section 66A, IT Act – Landmark or great Judgement
Great Judgement : One that restores the constitutional values of a polity from violation.
Landmark Judgement : One which opens up new directions in our constitutional thinking and in process, adds new dimensions to what are regarded as established constitutional principles.
Arguments in favor of Great Judgement :
1. Judgement made analytical distinction as three forms of speech – discussion, advocacy, incitement.But this distinction is inadequate as it does not provide societal dynamics for each form.
2. Distinction between speech and expression is not made.
- Judgement elaborates to protect speech & written words but little say on “expressions” especially in form of photographs, paintings, films , cartoons, etc.
3. Judgement’s acceptance of distinction between print/old & digital/new media.
- Distinction made only on basis of quantitative & measure (penetration & speed of penetration) & not qualitative.
- because in modern times of ebook, epaper, emagazine etc. qualitative distinction may not be possible.
Arguments supporting it as landmark Judgement:
- Judgments provided powerful legal weapon to those fighting the tyranny of the state.
- Diminishes arrogance of the government.
- Reinstate ‘rule of law’
Conclusion of Judgement :
- Dismissal of assurance by present government of not misusing the law.
- Role of judgement performs in educating the public about govt. mind by placing the key aspects of the govt.’s submission in the public domain.
- “vagueness” in the formulation of laws produces a tyranny of power.
Art. Ref. : The ‘greatness’ of a ‘landmark’ judgment – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/the-greatness-of-a-landmark-judgment/article7045767.ece
Delhi police to be armed with online ‘Beatbook’ :
- Web based applicable, accessed by smartphone, aims to replace the colonial beat register which requires the policemen to record daily activities point by point on electronic log book.
- GPS enabled app will ensure that senior police functionaries can track a beat policeman’s movements.
- Senior officers map the areas falling in their respective jurisdiction in ral time and push for better deployment in crime prone areas.
Art. Ref. : Delhi police to be armed with online ‘Beatbook’ – http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/delhi-police-to-be-armed-with-online-beatbook/article7046508.ece
AIIB (Asian infrastructure Investment Bank)
- To realize China’s SILKROAD plans
- Now Germany, France, Britain, Russia, & Aus joins.
- Includes 21st century MSR (Maritime Silk Road) which would connect china with a string of ports from where would radiate economic corridors in SE Asia, S Asia, W Asia & Africa & finally terminate in Europe.
- More than 4.4 billion people or 63% global population – will be benefited.
- Power shift from US — > Eurasia.
Art. Ref. : Russia, Australia, Netherlands to join AIIB – http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/russia-australia-netherlands-to-join-aiib/article7046453.ece
Read the full article at the source : The Hindu (Links provided).
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.