(3rd April 2015 – The Hindu) – Schedule 1 of wildlife Act , GCTOC Bill 2015, Farm Crisis, Non Communicable Diseases – a new threat
Schedule 1 of Wildlife Act to be Reviewed
- Schedule 1 of wildlife Act 1972 to be reviewed.
- Min 3-7 yrs imprisonment.
- More species to be covered in schedule.
Schedule 1 of Wildlife Act to be reviewed – http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/schedule-1-of-wildlife-act-to-be-reviewed/article7063104.ece
GUJARAT CONTROL OF TERRORISM AND ORGANISED CRIME (GCTOC) BILL, 2015
- Same as MCOCA
- Allows confessions secured in public custody to be admitted as evidence in courts – legitimising custodial torture.
- Custody of an accused for 180 days (rather than 90 days provided under normal law).
Art. Ref : An anti-terror law that can be fine-tuned – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/an-antiterror-law-that-can-be-finetuned/article7065664.ece
- survey by – ” centre for the study of developing societies”
- in late 2013
- in 18 states
- 5480 farmers
(22% ~ 1/5th) – began disliking farming
(47% ~ 1/2) – believe overall conduction is bad
(62% ~ 6/10) – willing to leave agriculture & move to cities.
(37% ~ 1/3rd) – not like their children to be farmers.
# Problems :
1. Scarcity of financial resources:
- only 1/3rd farmers have taken loan in last 3 years
- 1/2 have heard of kisan credit card
- 15% have kisan credit card
- 10% benefited by loan waiver by UPA (Big farmer 21%, small farmer 6%)
2. Lack of expert advice :
(new kinds of seeds, fertilizer or farming techniques – common but our farmers rely on old ones)
- 15% – take information or help from agriculture department officials.
3. Crop Insurance :
- 67% never heard of crop insurance (although 70% – crops destroyed in atleast 3 years.)
4. Inadequate irrigation facilities
Art. Ref : Land Acquisition Bill: Missing the big, bleak picture – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/land-acquisition-bill-missing-the-big-bleak-picture/article7061853.ece
INDIA FACES NEW HEALTH THREAT
(NCD – Non communicable diseases)
- Cardiovascular diseases – cancer, chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes etc.
- NCDs could cause 47 Trillion$ economic O/P from 2010 to 2030.
- In India
- 60% of deaths are due to NCDs
- 40% of all hospital stays
- 35% of outpatient visits.
- India , Govt spending on heathcare
- 1.86% GDP
- 4% Government expenditure
1. Robust mechanism for data collection, data sharing & knowledge transfer
2. system for monitoring & evaluation
3. Clean houses
Art. Ref : India faces new health threat – http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/india-faces-new-health-threat/article7061849.ece
Read the full article at the source : The Hindu (Links provided).
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.