(6th April 2015 – The Hindu) Green Bonds & Greener Way of Financing
Green Bonds & Greener way of Financing
What are Green bonds ?
(Bond – debt instrument with which an entity raises money from investors)
Bond issuer – gets capital
Investor – gets fixed income
Green Bond (GB)
- Similar to other bonds
- Difference : Capital is raised to fund green projects
- Green projects : Projects related to renewable energy, emission reduction, etc.
In India : Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. , Greenko -> Have issued bonds can aka GBs.
Multilateral agencies such as World Bank, corporations & government agencies – issues GBs.
Some institutional investors & pension funds – buy such GBs e.g. Black ROck, PIMCO etc.
- Why in News ?
- EXIM bank of India – March – issued GBs – 5yrs- 500 million$ worth – to fund Green Projects in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka.
- Yes Bank – Feb 10 yrs. – 100o Cr Rs.
Why are GBs Important for India ?
- Target : Renewable Energy capacity
|Renewable Energy Capacity||30 GW||200 Billion $ funding required||175 GW|
- Higher interest rates & unattractive terms – raises cost of renewable energy cost by 24-32% as compared to US & Europe.
- Budget allocation – insufficient.
- Most financing goes to reliable coal power projects.
–> GBs are good option.
Why GBs are attarctive ?
- (Any low interest rate (compared to loan offered by commercial banks.)
— > Offer better returns for independent power producer –> Win – Issuer.
- GBs carry inherent lower risk than other bonds (as per KPMG). Repayment is tied to issuer & not success of project. — > Win – Investor.
— > Win – Win.
2. Specific Investor fro Green projects — > Pricing could be attractive.
Performance of GBs
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance Report
2013 ————- 2014
15 B $ ———— 38.8 b $
———–2.6 times ———>
& Most issuance were oversubscribed
Controversy : Green Projects financed by GBs, whether green enough ?
Read the full article at the source : The Indian Express (Links provided).
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.