(11th April 2015 – Indian Express) Massively Augment public transport system
Delhi based centre for science & environment (CSE)
16 years ago – security threat is not the gun, but the air.
- Advance the roadmap for fuel emission standards.
- Restrict diesel vehicles
- Make the transition to a much cleaner fuel CNG
- SC took firm action
- moved to CNG
- Country cleaned up its fuel & advanced emission standard for vehicles
- Reduction in pollution
- Impact in terms of benefits to health
Since 2007 :
- pollution level has reached the dangerously toxic levels.
- This winter level of PM 2.5 – remained 3 to 4 times higher than the standard of safety.
- Pollution is o bad that it would cause “respiratory effects even on healthy people”.
Since the introduction of CNG :
- Explosion of personal vehicles (100% /\ in reg.)
- Even if each car is cleaner now (tighter emission standards & better quality of fuels), no.of cars /\ exponentially.
- Net result on pollution same.
- Diesel cars /\ from 4% to 50% (by Mid – 2000)
- Cheaper diesel used by rich car owners.
- Cities around Delhi has grown.
- By 2001, 1.2 million vehicles entered or left Delhi everyday, in direction of Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida, Ghaziabad.
- Vehicle remain major contributor
- Non – Vehicle Source of Pollution
- Punjab & Haryana directed farmers to delay paddy transplantation to save ground water usage in peak summer.
- Farmers have no time to harvest paddy & grow wheat.
- They burn the straw.
2012 Study :
- Of over 11000 school students in the city found that every third child has impaired lung function.
Way ahead – Steps that must be Taken :
- Aggressive roadmap for clean fuel & vehicle technology in country (Not acceptable to powerful vehicle manufacturers.)
- Manufacturers want 8-10 years to move to cleaner vehicle technology used in Europe today. They need to understand the worst situation today.
- Monitor air quality to smog alerts.
- Massively augment over public transportation system – Bus , Metro , footpath , cycle track.
- Car restraints – parking rates & fines for illegal parking /\.
- Increase no. of traffic police to curb illegal parking.
- Awareness among people.
Art. Ref. : A new vehicle for clean air – http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/a-new-vehicle-for-clean-air/
Read the full article at the source : The Indian Express (Links provided).
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article. Readers can also comment on the article written by other readers.