(Indian Express) Proposed Amendment to Prevention of Corruption Bill
30th April 2015
Proposal to move official amendments to the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill,2013 cleared by Cabinet.
Proposed Amendments :
- the minimum punishment being raised from six months to three years imprisonment.
- the maximum punishment enhanced from five years to seven years imprisonment.
- corruption now has been brought under the heinous crime category.
- extend the protective umbrella of prior sanction for prosecution to public servants who have ceased to hold office due to retirement or resignation.
- prior sanction for inquiry and investigation shall be required from the Lokpal or Lokayukta, as the case may be,
for investigation of offences relatable to recommendations made or decision taken by a public servant in discharge of official functions or duties.
- the proposed amendments provide for more stringent punishment for the offences of bribery, both for the bribe-giver and the bribe-taker.
- intentional enriching by public servants will be construed as criminal misconduct and possession of dis
proportionate assets as proof of such illicit enrichment.
Art. Ref. : Anti-corruption law: Union Cabinet nod for raising max punishment to 7 yrs – http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/anti-graft-legislation-union-cabinet-approves-increasing-penalty-to-max-7-yrs/
Words from article :
graft : (n) the practice of offering something (usually money) in order to gain an illicit advantage
heinous : (s) extremely wicked, deeply criminal
relatable : (a) able to be related to something else.
stringent : (s) demanding strict attention to rules and procedures
Construed : (v) make sense of; assign a meaning to
(n)-Noun, (v)-Verb, (a)-Adjective, (s)-Adjective Satellite, (r)-Adverb
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words for each of the article.