(The Hindu) United Nations Convention on Child Rights
UNCRC (United Nations Convention on Child Rights )
- Signed on – 20th Nov 1989
- Location : NY
- Effective : 2nd September 1990
- Signatories : 140
- Parties : 194
India ratified UNCRC 1990
Aug 14, Gov.t introduced Juvenile Justice (Care & Protection ) Bill.
[Judicial waiver system in India whereby juvenile offender aged b/w 16-18 yrs would be tried & punished as adults for certain heinous crimes.
Referred to parliamentary Standing committee
– which objected such changes in judicial system.
Cabinet going forward (Media Reports)
Crime Statistics 2013 :
- Rape registered (by 16 – 18yrs) = 1388 = <5% of all rapes.
- Juveniles accused of crimes
- 80% belong to family having annual income < Rs. 50000
- >50% did not complete their primary education.
Art. Ref. : April 27th 2015 : A bill for juvenile injustice
Comment (your views) below in not more than 300 words.