10 things to know about Jhansi Ki Rani in 30 seconds
- Lakshmibai, the Rani of Jhansi was the queen of the Maratha-ruled Jhansi State.
2. She was one of the leading figures of the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and became for Indian nationalists a symbol of resistance to the British Raj.
3. She was born to a Maharashtrian family at Kashi (now Varanasi) in the year 1828. Her childhood name was Manikarnika.
4. In the year 1842, she got married to the Maharaja of Jhansi, Raja Gangadhar Rao Niwalkar.
5. In the year 1853, Gangadhar Rao fell sick and became very weak. So, the couple decided to adopt a child.
6.As per the Doctrine of Lapse, Lord Dalhousie decided to seize the state of Jhansi.
7. From the period between Sep-Oct 1857, Rani defended Jhansi from being invaded by the armies of the neighboring rajas of Orchha and Datia.
8.In January 1858, the British army headed it’s way towards Jhansi. The conflict went on for two weeks. Finally, the Britishers succeeded in the annexation of the city. However, Rani Laksmi Bai managed to escape along with her son, in the guise of a man.
9. She died on 17thJune, during the battle for Gwalior.
10. For her immense effort, she is referred to as the ‘Icon of the Indian Nationalist Movement’.