10 things you must know about Yoga
1. Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice or discipline that was born in India. The most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga and Rāja yoga.
2. The Yoga was originated around pre-Vedic period and, was mentioned in the Rigveda,but its development happened around the fifth-sixth centuries.
3. Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century introduced Yoga to west. In the 1980s, yoga gained importance as a system of physical exercise across the Western world.
4. Yoga is more than physical exercise, it is combination of meditative and spiritual core. It is one of the six major orthodox schools of Hinduism , and is closely related to Hindu Samkhya philosophy.
5. In Vedic Sanskrit, yoga means “to add”, “to join”, “to unite”, or “to attach” in its most common literal sense.It is union of Body. Mind and Soul.
6. The ultimate goal of Yoga is to attain moksha (liberation) through asana and pranayama and other practices.
7. Yoga as described in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali refers to Ashtanga Yoga. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is considered as a central text of the Yoga school of Hindu philosophy.
8.Yoga has innumerous health benefits,it can cure diseases, provide peace and spiritual well being to people.
9. On 11 December 2014, The 193-member United Nations General Assembly approved by consensus, a resolution establishing 21 June as ‘International Day of Yoga’.During address to UN General Assembly on 27 September 2014,Indian Prime Minister kept a suggestion to observe International Yoga day.
10. 21st June was choosen because, it is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and has special significance in many parts of the world.
Wish You all Happy International Yoga day 🙂